Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mean People Sadden Me....

Why are people so ugly? I mean, I know there are b-holes just about everywhere you go, and I know they are usually insecure or bitter or hurting, but I just don't get it. I am really struggling with trying to get used to this fact because it is the most disheartening thing I have experienced in my adulthood. My Mama has always said that you can't change people, only yourself. That when a comment is made, you gotta take the truth from it (if there is any), use it to better yourself, then leave it. And I get the importance of that, but I'm not gonna lie. It hurts. It hurts like the dickens. Every glare, every roll of the eyes, every mean gesture feels like salt on a wound. Part of it is my insecurity. This I know. I am who God says I am so I should hold my head and be confident in that. But that's not the worst of it. The thing that really shakes my core is the fact that people are like this. That they feel like they have to be like this. Instead of saying I'm sad. Or I'm lonely. Or I'm insecure. Instead of sharing and letting someone bring them up, they wall their hearts and try and bring others down. What happened to people? I am terrified that there are more rude, bitter, ill-hearted people out there then there are loving, kind, selfless people. I'd like to say Christians are the rare specimen of decency but that isn't so. Not by a long shot. Ill-hearted people are everywhere. At work. In my apartment complex. At church. At the grocery store. At the bank. They are everywhere, and it scares me to death that my little girl or little boy will be raised in a world with such selfish, self-centered people. People looking to screw you over. People who wait for you to fail. People that would rather be mean to you for your success than congratulate you for your hard work. This saddens me beyond words. And I am daily attempting to come to terms with the way people are, but here's all I can do. Not be a part of it. Live above reproach. Don't get me wrong, I am the first to fire back an insult if one is thrown at me. Or call someone in tears so that they can validate that whatever some b-hole said or did to me is wrong and I am great and wonderful, blah blah blah. While this makes me feel better at the moment, it's not the way to overcome this. The way to deal with it is by acting like Jesus. He was insulted. He was betrayed. He was messed over. He was hated. He was spit on, and He held His head high and went about His merry. little way.

So this is what I am gonna try and remember next time I get insulted: The most brilliant being that has ever walked the face of the planet, the Son of God, was able to keep his mouth shut. He didn't find the need to bark back. He didn't have to. You know how He responded? He walked confidently in who He was. And that's precisely the way I need to handle the mean, b-holes I come across every single day. Act like Him. Live like Him. And respond like Him. Because I gotta say it's only gonna get worse.....And if I don't learn this lesson now, I'm gonna live a life in defeat and sadness.

No comments:

Post a Comment