Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Dork in Flats

I went to a banquet the other night called Miss Greek. Andrew and I were there to support our friend Lupita. Well, I came from work in my red pants and brown flats. For those of you who know me, you may already be thinking, "Kim???? Flats???" Yes. I've slowed the pace.(Notice the picture with my cardigan and pearls!) I'm even forgetting how to walk in pumps! It wasn't about 5 minutes that I could no longer resist. I had to take pictures. I made Lupita get up and pose with her sorority sisters. Then with her boyfriend. I got her at the table. I got her by the window. You name it. In the midst of my picture binge I looked over at Andrew who was grinning like a Cheshire cat. It's then that I realized that the tables have turned. I am the dorky girl with the camera! I immediately looked down at my feet. And I am the dork in flats! I looked around the room and there were all the 20 year old girls in their strapless dresses revealing their tanning bed tans. Their hair was bleached and flat ironed to perfection. They were all skinny, and their pumps were cool colors like electric blue and pink. What happened to me???? I looked down at myself to see that I was in a cardigan. I wasn't wearing big earings. I was wearing a simple necklace. I had on brown flats and my hair was pulled back. I looked down at my stomach and long and behold I had a bit of a pooch! Andrew laughed as he watched the wave of realization wash over me. I leaned over and said to him, "When did I become the dork with the camera?" He smiled like he always does when I say something stupid like that.

Will I wear pumps again? I'm sure I will. I even flat ironed my hair the next day, but you know what? I'm okay with the cardigan and flats on most days. I'm okay with the simple necklace and red pants. You know why I'm okay with that? Apart from the fact that I was able to eat cake because I wasn't wearing a tight dress, I don't have anything to prove. I can wear pumps and a tight dress because I want to, not because I have to. I was never really of those girls that dressed to compete, but I did feel some pressure way back when. Well not anymore! As Miss Greek continued on Friday night, I leaned back in my chair with Andrew's arm around me. I drank 3 glasses of tea, and I even ate a 2nd piece of cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment